Make hydration so very yummy with this super simple Watermelon Smoothie. With just two ingredients, you can blend up a smoothie for kids that’s packed with Vitamin C, protein, calcium, and pure deliciousness.
It can be hard to get the kids to drink as much water as they need, but simple kids smoothies like this one can help. The quick drink is made with just two ingredients—watermelon and yogurt—and it’s refreshing and energizing.
I love it as a snack or drink during the warmer months, especially when we have lots of fresh watermelon on hand.
This healthy smoothie is so easy to make and the short ingredient list may make it a great place to start if your kids aren’t such fans of smoothies. Let them help you add the ingredients to the blender—they’ll be reassured to know there’s nothing funky hiding inside!—and give it a taste test!
This is not a common smoothie flavor, which makes it even more special. And there are lots of ways to customize it for the specific preferences of your kids, too.
Ingredients You Need
To make this smoothie, you just need:
- Watermelon: Any variety will work, though seedless is easiest if possible.
- Greek yogurt: You can use plain or vanilla.
TIP: You’ll need to freeze the watermelon ahead of time to give it the classic smoothie texture, but otherwise it’s super simple! And if you forget to do that, you can add a few ice cubes.
To make this smoothie for kids, you just need to:
- Freeze the watermelon.
- Add it to a blender with the yogurt.
- Blend, starting on low and working up to high.
- Sweeten to taste with maple syrup or honey (which may or may not be needed depending on the flavor of the melon).
TIP: You can use vanilla yogurt if you prefer or non-dairy Greek style yogurt.
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of watermelon is best?
Seedless is the way to go here. And if you can’t find or don’t have seedless watermelon, do your best to remove the seeds first.
Can I use non-dairy yogurt?
Sure, that will work just fine if you need to adjust this recipe for a dairy intolerance.
Can I make this a Watermelon Smoothie with Banana?
You can totally add ½ of a frozen banana to vary the flavor of this smoothie a little.
Can I use milk?
You can, though the smoothie won’t be as creamy.
Can I make this a veggie smoothie?
To add veggies to this smoothie, I recommend adding ¼ cup fresh or frozen cauliflower florets. You could also add fresh or frozen summer squash. (I’m going for lighter colors here so it doesn’t turn change the color of the final result!)
How to Freeze Watermelon
Cut the watermelon into cubes and place into a zip top freezer bag. Remove as much air as possible and lay flat in one layer in the freezer to freeze. This will avoid them all freezing together in one large clump, making it easy for you to measure some out for your smoothie.
Best Tips for Success
- Use seedless watermelon to make your life easier and avoid having to pick out seeds.
- Freeze the watermelon at least 6 hours before you plan to make the smoothie.
- Place the watermelon cubes into a zip top freezer bag and lay flat in one layer in the freezer to freeze. This will avoid them all freezing together in one large clump.
- Use vanilla yogurt or plain. If using plain, sweeten to taste with honey or maple syrup.
- Serve immediately after making.
- You can freeze the blended mixture in freezer pop molds to make homemade popsicles for the kids.
- Serve the smoothie in a small cup, in a cup with a straw, or in a reusable pouch.