These Fluffy Pumpkin Cookies are soft and delicious, and they almost melt in your mouth. They take only 20 minutes to make and are perfect for Thanksgiving or winter holidays—or any time you have a craving.
These soft-baked cookies taste like mouthfuls of the most delicious pumpkin bread, in cookie form. They are made with just a few ingredients and are so perfect to share with the kids. I love this as a component on a cookie platter, a Thanksgiving dessert, or just something to bake (a few times!) during the fall.
These are a sweeter version of our Healthy Pumpkin Cookies with a more straight-up pumpkin flavor, and they’re one of my family’s current favorites.
They’re particularly pretty with sprinkles on top!
Ingredients You Need
Here’s a look at what you need to make this cookie recipe to bake with the kids (or for the kids!).
- Unsalted butter: Using softened unsalted butter allows you to control the salt in the recipe.
- Sugar: Granulated sugar blends into the butter and adds just enough sweetness.
- Egg: The egg helps the batter come together and become fluffy and moist.
- Pumpkin puree: You can use canned pumpkin or homemade pumpkin puree.
- Vanilla extract: I add a little vanilla extract to balance the flavors in this cookie.
- Pumpkin pie spice: This spice blend, which you can find in the regular spice aisle, adds classic pumpkin-baked-goods flavor.
- Baking soda and baking powder: This combination helps the cookies puff and rise.
- All-purpose flour: This keeps the batter light and moist.
- Sprinkles (optional): I love to add some sprinkles to the top of each cookie-batter ball before baking for color, though you can also top with Cream Cheese Frosting once the cookies are cooled.
Here’s a look at how to make this cookie recipe so you know what to expect. Scroll down to the end of the post for the specific amounts and times.
- Preheat the oven. Cream butter and sugar together by adding both to a bowl and mixing with a handheld electric mixer.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix to combine well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix to combine.
- Place balls of batter onto the prepared sheet. Add sprinkles on top of each if desired.
- Bake. Let cool completely on the pan before serving.
product we love
India Tree Natural Sprinkles
These plant-based sprinkles come in the prettiest colors and are perfect for baking with kids.
How to Store
Store cooled cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Place the container into the fridge for up to a week. These cookies are soft when they come out of the oven and are soft when stored.
Best Tips for Success
- Top with Cream Cheese Frosting for an extra-special touch, if desired.
- Use canned or homemade pumpkin puree.
- Use cinnamon if you’re out of pumpkin pie spice.
- Gluten-free: Use a 1:1 style of gluten-free flour blend.
- Dairy-free: Use vegan butter substitute.