Cool off with a refreshing Homemade Fruit Slushie that you can make with just 2 ingredients in a matter of minutes. They’re a great way to stay hydrated and serve up nutrients in a delicious form!
I am always looking for ways to keep the kids hydrated on warm days and offer produce in ways they might enjoy. And these slushies are a great solution on both accounts. They’re made with just 2 simple ingredients, they are endlessly adaptable in terms of flavors and fruits you use, and they are so delicious.
Blending up frozen fruit and juice is a really simple way to make a slushie at home. It’s perfect for teething relief, it may help with constipation, and mostly, it’s just really yummy.
This was a go-to of mine when I was pregnant and needed a refreshing snack. And it’s been a staple summer snack ever since.
Ingredients You Need
To make this recipe you need the following ingredients:
- Frozen fruit: You can use frozen apples, cherries, grapes, peaches, or watermelon for this recipe. You want to use a fruit with a fairly high amount of water in it for the best results.
- 100% fruit juice: We usually use the same kind of juice as fruit, but you can use apple if you can’t find the corresponding juice.
That’s all you need! You can buy frozen fruit to make this easy, or you can freeze fruit yourself. Both work.
Here’s a look at the process involved in making this recipe. Scroll down to the end of this post for the full details.
- Add the ingredients to a blender.
- Blend very well, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
- Add more liquid if needed to make a thinner mixture.
- Serve with a straw or in a reusable pouch or Smoothie Cup.
TIP: The liquid amounts in frozen fruits vary, so you may prefer to add a little more juice.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you make slushies at home?
To make a slushie at home, you simply add frozen fruit and juice to a blender and blend it up into an icy drink. It’s really easy!
Is there anything I can use other than juice?
If you prefer to skip the juice, you can do half frozen fruit and half fresh fruit, plus a little water if needed. This works best with watermelon and grapes, which have more liquid than other fruits like apples.
What’s the difference between a slushie and a smoothie?
A slushie is typically icier than a smoothie. A smoothie often is made with milk or yogurt and a slushie is typically fruit or fruit juice based.
Do I need a slushie machine?
Nope, a blender works really well here. I have a Certified Refurbished Vitamix (which is less expensive than a brand new one) and it works really well making these.
Here are some of the flavor combos we love most. You can be creative, too!
- Grape Slushie: frozen grapes + grape juice
- Apple Slushie: frozen apple slices + apple juice
- Watermelon Slushie: frozen watermelon cubes + fresh watermelon cubes
- Strawberry Slushie: frozen strawberries + apple juice
Best Tips for Success
- Use a juice in the same or a similar flavor as the frozen fruit you use, or use apple juice.
- To make this without adding juice, you can do half frozen fruit and half fresh fruit, plus a little water if needed. This works best with watermelon and grapes, which have more liquid than other fruits. I would not advise trying to do that with fruit like apples.
- Serve in a straw cup, an open cup with a straw, a Smoothie Cup, or a reusable pouch.
- Find more favorite Kids Drinks for more ideas.